Selling your property

CBRE Residential have extensive knowledge of market values in central London, so can help you achieve the best price for your property. 

We know that the key to a successful transaction is ensuring your property sells for the highest price within your ideal timescale. When it comes to property to sell in London we are the experts.

We understand that extensive marketing of your property is absolutely essential and offer a comprehensive strategy, including professional photography, a full listing on our website and several property portals, electronic mail outs and much more. We list all our properties on market leading portals: Rightmove and On the Market, to give your property maximum exposure.

Having successfully marketed your property, we will receive offers from interested parties and will advise and negotiate with the buyer on your behalf; we will always ensure that your property achieves its maximum market value. Our experienced sales agents will then guide you through the rest of the sales process from the exchange of contracts through to completion.

When it comes to selling property in central London, we are here to help. Our global network of offices means that we have access to buyers from all over the world, and can promote your property to a global audience. CBRE Residential will provide you with clear, concise sales advice and make sure your property to sell in London is sold for the best possible price.

Capital Gains Tax (CGT) - what you need to know

If you have sold or disposed of a UK residential property (including part interest in one) since April 2020, you may need to report this and pay Capital Gains Tax (CGT) within 30 days of completion. The below information will help you check early and make your selling experience smoother.

Checking if you need to report and pay

You won't need to report and pay CGT if you have sold or disposed of a UK property that was your main home and only used as a private residence.

If you have been absent from your home or rented it out, then you can check if you need to pay CGT on GOV.UK.

Report and pay online

If you are liable for CGT, you can sign up for a 'Capital Gains Tax on UK property account', report and pay using HMRC’s online service on GOV.UK.

You can sign up for the service in advance to save time and help meet the 30-day deadline.

If you are a non-UK resident

Since April 2020, the rules also changed for non-UK residents notifying HMRC of a sale or disposal of both UK residential and non-residential property regardless of whether there is a gain or not.

Non-UK residents are still required to notify HMRC of the disposal via the online service but can no longer defer any payment due to their Self Assessment tax return.

If you are having difficulty paying

You can visit GOV‌‌.UK and search 'difficulties paying' to see what help and support is available.

If you don’t report and pay on time

If you don’t report gains on property or make payment by the 30-day deadline you may be liable to a late filing penalty, late payment interest and may be subject to a late payment penalty.

If you need help

You can find more information to about these changes on GOV‌‌.UK or by viewing this short YouTube video.


Please note: This information should be used as a guide only. Please consult the website for latest information. CBRE Limited are not to be held accountable for the accuracy of the information or liable for any issues related to the information stated above. Last updated: June 2021